How to Choose a New Dentist
It can be scary trying to find a good dentist. You need to be able to trust them and feel confident in their abilities. In a perfect world, all dentists would be created equal. However, just like every other industry in the world, there can be some bad apples you’re going to want to avoid. But do you know how to choose a dentist? What do you need to look for in a new dentist? What are some red flags a dentist may not be the best? These are all questions we are going to answer today! So read on to learn how to choose the right dentist for you!
What to Avoid in a New Dentist
Part of learning how to choose a dentist will be knowing what things to avoid. A few red flags may indicate a particular dentist may not be the best one for you.
- Poor Sterility - It’s critical medical instruments used on you are sterilized and stored in sealed packaging between uses. If the dentist you’re seeing appears to be lax with their sterile technique, it’s time to find a new one.
- Excessive Procedures - Most of us will need certain dental procedures done in our lifetimes. But, if you’re keeping up with your dental health, brushing, and flossing regularly, you shouldn’t need a new, expensive procedure every visit to your dentist.
- Just a Number - Going to the dentist can be scary, outright terrifying for some people! If your dentist isn’t being patient with you or taking the time to answer your questions, you may want to look for a new dentist. Don’t stay at a dentist where you’re made to feel like a number.
- Bad Rep - You can’t please everyone, and this is going to apply to almost any dentist as well. There should be some positive word of mouth out there about your dentist, though. If everything you’re hearing about your dentist is terrible, well, where there is smoke, there can be fire!
What to Look for When Learning How to Choose a Dentist
Now that you know what to avoid, here are a few things you want to see when you’re choosing a new dentist.
- Great Reputation - If you do something good for someone, they will tell one person. If you do something wrong, they will tell ten! If your dentist has an excellent reputation in the community, you can be sure that it is hard-earned and well deserved.
- Happy Staff - If your dental hygienist and the office staff are genuinely happy and upbeat, it can be a sign of a well-run, positive working environment. If the doctor leaves patients unhappy and hurting, the staff won’t be walking around with a positive attitude.
- Listens & Educates - A good dentist will take the time to listen to you; they will get to know you and build a great rapport. If you have questions, they should be more than happy to take the time to walk you through your care.
- Clean & Welcoming - A great dentist’s office will be clean and understand how important a peaceful, comfortable environment will be for patients. When it comes to cleanliness, no corners should be cut.
So now you know how to choose a dentist! And, there is a great one in the Great Neck, NY area. Dr. Julie Liberman, DDS of Great Neck Dental Care NY, proudly serves patients of all ages in the Great Neck area, spanning New Hyde Park, Floral Park, Douglaston, Jericho, Roslyn, etc. Book your checkup today to see what a great dental experience is like!