How Do You Fix Crooked Teeth?
Hearing “smile for the camera” can be fear-inducing if you have crowded or crooked teeth! Misaligned teeth can leave you feeling closed off and self-conscious of the way you look. What’s worse, if the problem is severe enough, your crooked teeth can lead to pain and speech impediments. This problem can affect young and older people alike. Luckily, there are ways to give you back a healthy, beautiful smile! Keep reading below to find out why our teeth can become crooked, what some potential problems could be, and ways to fix them.
Why Do We Get Crooked Teeth
Young or old, our teeth can end up misaligned and crooked for a number of reasons. Let’s take a closer look at a few ways this can happen.
- As babies’ teeth begin to come in, their gums can be much larger than their little teeth can fill. This can lead to them turning and becoming crooked.
- If several family members have crooked teeth, there is a good chance you will as well. Genetics and heredity play a significant role in how our smiles will turn out.
- Studies are pointing to modern society’s lifestyle playing a role in our jaws becoming smaller. Our smaller jawlines are having trouble accommodating our teeth. This crowding will lead to them becoming crooked.
- Children who constantly suck on their thumb or a pacifier can cause their teeth to develop an overbite. This misaligns the teeth, causing them to go crooked.
Problems Caused by Crooked Teeth
Our bodies are designed to work in a specific way. When that design is altered, we tend to develop a range of health issues. Let’s take a look at a few problems associated with having crooked teeth.
- Having crooked teeth and a less than flattering smile can hinder people socially, professionally, and romantically. It can lead to an almost debilitating need to avoid social interaction.
- Misaligned teeth can cause wear and damage quicker than usually would occur. This can leave you with cracked teeth, jaw strain and pain, and near-constant headaches.
- If your teeth are severely crooked, you may find yourself not chewing your food correctly. You may develop pain while chewing and stomach ailments due to improperly chewed up food.
Fixes for Crooked Teeth
Now that we have taken a look at some potential causes and problems associated with crooked teeth let’s see some ways to get them fixed!
- Arguably the most common fix for crooked teeth is going to be some form of dental braces. There are three main types your dentist may choose to use based on what will work best for you; metal braces, ceramic braces, and Invisalign.
- For teeth that aren’t overly crowded or crooked, veneers can be a good choice. A relatively easy fix, veneers are composite or porcelain caps that go over the top of your existing teeth. They don’t fix the crooked teeth but do cover them giving you back a beautiful smile.
- Retainers are a cheaper option than braces for fixing your misaligned teeth. They can either be fixed or removable and often require fewer trips to your dentist.
- Crowns are not the most popular option for fixing crooked and crowded teeth, but they do work. The problem with crowns is a large section of the healthy tooth will need to be removed to affix the crown.
Now that you know how crooked teeth are fixed, who do you get to do the work? The answer is easy! Dr. Julie Liberman, DDS of Great Neck Dental Care NY, proudly serves patients of all ages in the Great Neck area, spanning New Hyde Park, Floral Park, Douglaston, Jericho, Roslyn, etc. Book your check-up today to fix your crooked and crowded teeth and get back your smile!